Rockabilly Delay...

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

Postby johnnysavant on Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:23 pm

For the most the most authentic Rockabilly sound you should try an old Tel Ray oil can echo. These range from $100-350, depending on condition, brand and whether it's tube or solid state. Sometimes you can pick them up cheaper. Some models and names:

Gibson GA-4RE Reverb-Echo (VERY desirable tube version)
Fender Echo Reverb and Echo Reverb II, Variable Delay
Fender Dimension IV (piggy backs on amp reverb circuit with RCA plugs)
Standel Duette
Tel Ray Variable Delay, Super Organ Sound, and Deluxe Organ Sound
Tel Ray Adineko and Add-n-Echo
Morley/Tel Ray EDL Echo Delay Line
Morley EVO Echo Volume Pedal (way cool)
Morley Rotating Echo Power Wah (way cooler)
Morley 747 Echo Delay Reverb
Thomas Vox V807 Echo-Reverb

A bunch of others
Last edited by johnnysavant on Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnysavant
Knight

Postby Bigsbyboy on Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:23 pm

Everyone got excited talking about looping and tap-tempo.......but as far as real Rockabilly delay, I agree with Traynor Garnet's post. These older, cheaply-made analogs are still out there. Yamahas, Arions, Vesta, Pearl, DOD all made pedals with the Japanese BBD chip. I have Morley Tel-Ray echo pedal with 2 Panasonic MN3500 chips that takes 18 volts! That thing has incredible headroom and output. I also found a Maxtone cheapy with an analog chip that smokes. It's a Boss clone. Most of the digitals I've owned put out some "clock-noise" that my amps won't forgive. The analog pedals sound much thicker and more musical to my ears. Some digitals can't do the self-oscillating, space ship/ray gun sounds that all us kids love!
Not that I have the $$$, but I bet the Fulltone tape unit is the best there is.
Last edited by Bigsbyboy on Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart.
Bigsbyboy
Certified

Postby johnnysavant on Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:28 pm

Deleted
Last edited by johnnysavant on Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnysavant
Knight

Postby mnutz on Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:02 am

No one has tried the cheapy Johnson analog echo? Alright I'm buying the thing. I'll report back.
mnutz
Peasant

Postby Painterman on Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:00 am

On a low budget - the Ibanez AD-9 reissue analog delay is great for dialing in that rockabilly/surf tone - or the EH Memory Man Deluxe. You can probably find some used on flea bay.

Much cheaper than a tube tape echo!
Sir Bobby Painterman - Knight of the Plexi Palace. (It only took me 8.5 years...)
The Anderson Council
theUNIDENTIFIED.
Painterman
Knight

Postby geoff_bell on Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:55 pm

surprised how well the danelectro fab echo does the job. and at pocketmoney price too. not sure how much abuse the casing will take though, but i suppose if i build a pedal board instead of kicking them around the floor it should last longer.
geoff_bell
Knight

Postby Myopic Void on Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:44 pm

Try an EP1 or EP2 Echoplex. Both would be more period correct than a EP3. I use both a EP2 and EP3 but prefer the EP2 most of the time. There are some clips of both in action at the site below..

Best of Luck!

Cheers,

Eric
Myopic Void
Certified

Postby joenajera on Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:42 pm

love my orig ibanez AD9 for slapback.
joenajera
Squire

Postby mnutz on Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:40 pm

mnutz wrote:No one has tried the cheapy Johnson analog echo? Alright I'm buying the thing. I'll report back.

Ok I got this thing and have been playing around with it for a couple of weeks now.

It is my new favorite delay! Keep in mind, my only purpose here is rockabilly style slapback. It's noisy and dirty sounding and oh so warm. Noisy and dirty in a good way! It adds just enough grit to the signal to keep it real, way different than any of my digital units. Also it sems to be built like a tank, no worries about it holding up, at least externally. I love it.

Check one out, they're cheap!
mnutz
Peasant

Postby traynor_garnet on Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:12 pm

So it actually IS an analog delay? I assumed it would be digital and just called "analog."

How is it for tone suckage? My Arion SAD-1 is great but the cheap plastic casing feels like it is going to crush everytime I step on it. Wonder how this johnson pedal would compare.

TG

mnutz wrote:
mnutz wrote:No one has tried the cheapy Johnson analog echo? Alright I'm buying the thing. I'll report back.

Ok I got this thing and have been playing around with it for a couple of weeks now.

It is my new favorite delay! Keep in mind, my only purpose here is rockabilly style slapback. It's noisy and dirty sounding and oh so warm. Noisy and dirty in a good way! It adds just enough grit to the signal to keep it real, way different than any of my digital units. Also it sems to be built like a tank, no worries about it holding up, at least externally. I love it.

Check one out, they're cheap!
traynor_garnet
Squire

Previous

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain