Help with Analogman Surface, please!

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

Help with Analogman Surface, please!

Postby steveokla on Tue May 02, 2017 2:16 am

I've read about the coveted white dot, normal gain Surface for some time now. Found one on reverb that I thought was reasonably priced and bought it. It was advertised as a white dot, normal gain; and, indeed, perhaps it is. However, though there's nothing funny looking about the NKT275's, they have NO dots, white or red. I do know it's a 2007. I've been told that all the germaniums sold at that time were white dots. While there are no dots, there are what appear to be the letter Q (cap) on one, and what sort of appears to be an ! on the end of the other. Thoughts, please? Thanks, Steveokla
steveokla
Baron

Re: Help with Analogman Surface, please!

Postby Clanger on Tue May 02, 2017 10:19 pm

I may be well off the mark, so feel free to correct me, but I thought Ge transistor production stopped decades ago. Independent of that and again I may be wrong but certainly back in the day Ge transistor manufacture was very hit and miss , meaning that the only way to find good ones with good gain and low noise was to test every single one to find the good ones in the batch. As such case markings are irrelevant unless they indicate test results

That being my old timer viewpoint, what is the modern thinking that you are aware of with this device?
"Please feel free to copy this information and use it to make friends and influence people at your favourite social gathering" - Doyle
Clanger
Knight

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain