matamp... electric amp?

Cliff Cooper's unique OR80, OR80 Combo, OD80, Graphic 80, OR100, Hustler Combo, OD120, OR120, OR120 Combo, PA120, Graphic 120, OR200, Reverb, 2x12, 4x12

matamp... electric amp?

Postby fetuspetus on Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:01 am

ok.. i emailed both companies but I figured I'd ask here... did the guy that did all of the stateside stuff for matamp split off and start his own thing? It just looks like he started making his own stuff.. electric amp... in matamp fashion. I was just wondering if anyone knew because his slew of sites are kinda misleading to me and there are no true information pages. that's one thing I wish he had.. when you click on an "info" button you should get more than a graphic.

I emailed dave at www.matamp.co.uk and i also emailed matamp.com

So who knows I'll know tomorrow.. I just kinda think if I were to drop money for a matamp i'd rather have one made by the guys in the actual matamp factory.

Any info from you guys would be great.

Sorry if this is an old subject.

ben
fetuspetus
Court Jester

Postby amoun on Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:08 am

electric amps as i understand it are branded matamps, certainly the circuit is matamp designed i think. the demand in the uk is for smaller powered amps but the ux still wants the big monsters :D
The first electrics were built in the uk but i think they are now made in the us.

the new us distro agent for new matamps is juniors music or you can order direct from the factory i think.

i agree on the name bit too, nice to have matamp on it, and they will still do the 120 watters as a custom order afaik
amoun
Baron

Postby Occam on Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:26 pm

I believe it was the first 30 Electric Amps were made in the UK...everything after that including the cabs are all made in the US. The reason for the split is that Joel was becoming more and more frustrated with Matamp becoming less and less Matamp...smaller amps, high gain, channel switching, 12-billion knobs etc so Joel decided to go back to the original designs and philosophy. Big, loud, natural tone. Plus Joel offers very cool things like 6x12 cabs. So there is no more connection between Joel Wheeler and Matamp any more. The only Matamp's he sells today are used ones.
Occam
Peasant

Postby art_z on Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:14 am

Occam wrote: So there is no more connection between Joel Wheeler and Matamp any more. The only Matamp's he sells today are used ones.

true, but the Electric amps are a Dave Green design , ostensibly made to be close to vintage Mat specs, albeit with modern innovations where necessary. Benny Lamb can speak most to his impression of the Electric vs Vintage OrMat stuff.
art_z
Knight

Postby fetuspetus on Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:16 am

wow guys thanks for the info. I am interested in checking out both. I still wanna check out the retro 50 and ad50 from orange's custom shop!

anyone played with them?

ben
fetuspetus
Court Jester

Postby Benny Lamb on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:33 pm

Electric amps are great. They can TOTALLY nail the OR120 sound. I have a 73 Pix only and the Electric sounds almost exactly the same. The Presence on the OR120 is a little more sensitive. If you can't find and old one have Joel build you what you want.
73 Orange OR80
78 Marshall 2204
77 Traynor MKIII
7? Orange 4x12
7? Ampeg V2 4x12
71 Traynor YT-12
78 Gibson Les Paul Pro Deluxe
95 Gibson Les Paul Classic Preimum Plus
http://www.myspace.com/bennylambmusic
Benny Lamb
Squire

Postby fetuspetus on Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:38 am

I just heard thier soundclips and I"m extremely excited to get one of these now...

I still wanan check out those orange handwired series amps though.

Ben
fetuspetus
Court Jester

Postby fetuspetus on Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:43 am

I just heard thier soundclips and I"m extremely excited to get one of these now...

I still wanan check out those orange handwired series amps.. but i'm pretty sure the electric is on the "to get" list.

Ben
fetuspetus
Court Jester

Postby riffpowers on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:30 am

The first few (8 or 12 I think) electrics were built by Matamp.
Bennys is one of these.I've tested the electrics before they went out, and Ben is spot on, they are voiced much more like the big old oranges than the big old matamps.
I don't think Joel has actually built/sold any USA built electrics yet.
-----------------------------------
Marshall JCM800 2204
Marshall 1987X
Marshall 1960AX
Zilla 2x12
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Standard
riffpowers
Page

Return to Orange