Can anyone help?

Cliff Cooper's unique OR80, OR80 Combo, OD80, Graphic 80, OR100, Hustler Combo, OD120, OR120, OR120 Combo, PA120, Graphic 120, OR200, Reverb, 2x12, 4x12

Can anyone help?

Postby LD50 on Sun May 21, 2017 5:55 pm

I am putting together an ORST50 clone based on the ex-Beat Club one that I have just repaired/serviced.

As you will see from the pics it is coming on quite well (waiting for the Partridge choke to be rewound) and I have a circuit board issue.

Although I have a modern 30 pair tag board I am looking for one more like the original paxolin (with hook type eyelets). I have a short version but would ideally like a full length one or another short one (or two) to get it like the original. I have NOS caps and resistors. You will be able to tell it is a clone because I have left the aluminium support for the front panel unpainted (so no fakery here).

The company that made the chassis did this one as a favour but are happy to make more if there is demand. A run of a dozen or so would be £70 each (incl. all the metal parts) but down to £30 or £40 for a 100.

Does anyone have a piece of this paxolin board to suit or know of a source.

TIA.
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince

Re: Can anyone help?

Postby CDH on Mon May 22, 2017 7:37 pm

A Choke rewind....hhhhmmmm. would that my Partridge "paperweight" that's been sitting on your Office desk since I bought it from Paul Tribe that I can smell lol?
Last edited by CDH on Mon May 22, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CDH
Court Jester

Postby CDH on Mon May 22, 2017 7:39 pm

Looks outstanding BTW. Reaffirming yet again your "Kingly" status. That pic reminds me....please be sure to add my pair of Running Men RS to the tube stash.
Last edited by CDH on Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CDH
Court Jester

Postby LD50 on Wed May 24, 2017 6:21 am

CDH wrote:A Choke rewind....hhhhmmmm. would that my Partridge "paperweight" that's been sitting on your Office desk since I bought it from Paul Tribe that I can smell lol?

More use rewound than as a paper weight. Numbers suggests ex Laney 60 (or DA60) supergroup era, perfect for this, assuming rewind is not stupid price.

No luck on the board, ideally 30 holer like this:

LD50
Prince

Postby Jon_the_id on Wed May 24, 2017 2:06 pm

You could try asking on here:
http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/

They have a 'parts wanted' section.
It is a really friendly helpful forum I find.
Jon
Jon_the_id
Certified

Postby LD50 on Wed May 24, 2017 8:23 pm

Thanks
Will do.
LD50
Prince

Postby CDH on Fri May 26, 2017 4:43 pm

Agreed (paperweight). I believe Paul said it was from a Laney 60. Seems like a lifetime ago now. Who's doing the rewind Pennine Radio? Your powder coating guy did a good job on the hue. I'll send Doug a link. The powder coating on his latest OR200 is coming off in chunks. Primarily on the inside top. Likley heat related. Would be a big job to pull the guts however.
CDH
Court Jester

Postby EDBIG on Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:30 pm

Amazing work Neil!
I can see you don't make many rounds of golf in your spare time. If you can find an old IMPACT amplifier that's been junked you would have the board you need.
Who made your front panel?
Looking good there. Keep it up.
EDBIG
Certified

Postby LD50 on Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:41 pm

My golf shoes (bought for me by my father in law as a hint) are sitting on a shelf with rusty spikes.
Those amps are pretty rare these parts.
Front panel came via Chris - origin unknown....
No one has expressed interest in chassis so I will put on back burner. They can be done 100% original or like my OR120 as I can measure that too!
LD50
Prince

Postby CDH on Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:29 pm

That panel came via Justin Harrison.....thus myself & Ed needing to go the the source (Jeff) to get the one for Andy's fix. The punch was close when trying to fit it on Andy's.....but no cigar. I was told upon purchase that it was acquired from Jeff years ago.

I won't tell you how much I paid for it. Let's just say it wasn't cheap. At least it ended up being useful.
Last edited by CDH on Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CDH
Court Jester

Postby CDH on Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:42 pm

I spoke with somebody a few months ago who had an Impact 60 to part out. Let's see if I can re-trace my footprints back to it.
CDH
Court Jester

Postby gusfinley on Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:50 am

Radio Spares still makes them but in 18 row lengths. Many vox builders splice them together for the 30 and 36 row lengths.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/barrier-strips/0433703/
gusfinley
Knight

Postby LD50 on Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:50 am

I followed Jon_the_id s suggestion and went to the Vintageradio site (I was an occasional lurker there) and registered (I needed help with my Hunt's Cap tester and CT160 anyway).
Two very helpful members there supplied me with the correct 5.4cm wide 18 lug boards so I now have 6 lengths!

Next job is to sit down to replicate the Depth and Drive switch wiring as there are no decent verified accurate schems. before the reference amp has to go back in its flight case and away :( .

There are odd bits of wiring of the original that I have never seen before like the 180R resistor between the PI cathode Rk (1.2k/40uF) and ground or the 22k between the 1M pot on the input with 4700pF trimmer inside the chassis top. Lots of inconsistency (experimentation). I have tried to keep the idiosyncrasies of the amp, simply restoring non-original and non-functioning parts. It takes some dialling in but sounds very good once you have (I would not normally bother with the internal trimmer pot and for me some of the drive/depth settings are far too dull and muddy but if you are a 'Shoegazer' or 'Doom" merchant that may be just what you want.

Ned B kindly sent me a hand drawn version of his schem which is similar, but different and I think his boards were rebuilt on turret boards so it is hard to say how much was tweaked to personal taste of the tech when that was done.

Surprised not takers for the chassis offer but I will work on the two I have as time permits, the one you see above and another will be my distillation of the best ((IMO bits).
LD50
Prince

Postby Ned B on Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:09 pm

Happy to know the schematic provided a little help. Mine represents what is probably the final incarnation of pre-pcb wiring as one I saw online a few numbers higher was indeed a pcb. Fortunately mine didn't need rebuilding but rather some minimally invasive filter maintenance. We will probably never know how many of these turret board ORSTs were made, but I imagine it couldn't have been many.
Ned B
Baron

Postby LD50 on Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi Ned
Sorry if I got it wrong. I had never seen a perfd turret board Orange before and assumed with modern components and the moved boards assumed someone had done a rebuild trying to abolish hum or other noises.

Are there any more like yours?
LD50
Prince

Next

Return to Orange