Big, Fat Necks: Anybody else out there love 'em?

Every brand has a home in this forum. If your like many guitarist and use guitars that are custom built or just production, your in the right place.

Re: Big, Fat Necks: Anybody else out there love 'em?

Postby Mayhawk on Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:14 pm

In the same vein, Wildwood Guitars sells 'Dealer Select Wildwood 10's.' See here: http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electric ... r45083.php

This particular guitar has a Nocaster neck, but there are also 3 other sizes. See below....

Mid 60's C Neck - .858" at the 1st fret - .943" at the 12th fret, slimmest of the Wildwood 10 neck profiles, the shape is similar to Fender's '65 neck shape ( .842"- .970" ) but not quite as large

'59 Large C Neck - .894" at the 1st fret - .970" at the 12th fret, Large tapered C neck with bigger "shoulders" than the Mid 60's neck, a chunky C shape

'56 V Neck - .896" at the 1st fret - .982" at the 12th fret, also known as the "Boat Neck", small "shoulders" with most of it's girth at the very center of the back of the neck, this profile is standard on a Fender Custom Shop '56 Strat model

Nocaster U Neck - .998" at the 1st fret - 1.013" at the 12th fret, this is the largest neck profile with very little taper, large "shoulders", this profile is standard on a Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster model

Hmmmmm, the Wildwood model does seem to cost a bit more........ :hmm:

What is nice about Wildwood (IMO) is they are a bit more objective and they always list the weight, in case that matters to you. I have had 9 1/2 lbs strats....never again.
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby Mayhawk on Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:16 pm

Now who am I fooling..........am I really gonna plunk down $4K for a guitar? :shock:

A fatback neck from Warmoth begins about $160. :blah:
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby chupy on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:32 am

Mayhawk wrote:Now who am I fooling..........am I really gonna plunk down $4K for a guitar? :shock:

A fatback neck from Warmoth begins about $160. :blah:

I say go with a parts guitar supplier like USACG or Warmoth or some other parts supplier. I've been doing it for years now and haven't looked back. Best thing about it, their are no limitations. Build something crazy or traditional. You'll have it your way. :strat:
chupy

Postby steveokla on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:44 pm

Chupy makes a good point--he's all about practical playing and guitars-are-tools. There is much to be said for his approach.

I've had two WW 10's--they are beautifully made guitars; however, they didn't have the Nocaster U neck available at the time and I ended-up swapping them out for a '66 Esquire and something else I can't can't recall. The necks were nice, but not the chunky, not-so-wide Nocaster type neck I really favor. The other thing I didn't like was the 6105 tall skinny frets--I find those real uncomfortable, rather like speed bumps. I actually even prefer vintage frets to those, so long as the radius is 9.5, though they wouldn't be my first choice. I ordered the Music Zoo Noneck strat with medium jumbos which seem to hold up better than the vintage frets and they're pretty comfortable. Again, the WW 10's were real nicely made--maybe I should reconsider now that they've got a U neck option . . . . No, that way lies madness!!!!
steveokla
Baron

Postby chupy on Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:36 pm

Alder Body $175 top route Warmoth
Neck $157 Warmoth
USACG neck is $228 price is higher, but I still prefer them.
Bone nut $3.30
Tuners $59.94
Cap .60 on up
Bridge Callaham $130
Pots $16.50
Wire $1 on up
Switch $13.94
Pickups Fralins $220
Knobs $7.20
Pick guard $22 on up
Trem cover $5.95
Jack $3.30
Jack plate $5.40
Neck plate with screws $5.95
String tree $2.81 for a set
Strap locks $12.31

More for paint. You could do it yourself, not that hard.

Total minus paint if you put it together yourself… $842.20 with USACG neck $913.20

Cheaper or higher depending on pickups and what not.

All you need is basic tools, different gauge files for the nut and saddles, solder and a soldering iron and your good to go. :D
chupy

Postby jrr on Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:02 pm

i chose my LesPauls with a preference for fat necks(chunkier) because of my vibrato style(i think they call them baseball bat necks)....i like to anchor the neck in that boat type shape between the thumb and first finger for stability,and i tend to wrap my thumb around to almost reach the 6th string(JMH. anyone?)to get a wide Kossoff style wobble :D .....completely wrong finger technique is how to get great rock and roll imho 8) .....additionally i like the string resonance and amp feedback i feel thru a chunky neck.
jrr
Knight

Postby steveokla on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:59 am

jrr wrote:i chose my LesPauls with a preference for fat necks(chunkier) because of my vibrato style(i think they call them baseball bat necks)....i like to anchor the neck in that boat type shape between the thumb and first finger for stability,and i tend to wrap my thumb around to almost reach the 6th string(JMH. anyone?)to get a wide Kossoff style wobble :D .....completely wrong finger technique is how to get great rock and roll imho 8) .....additionally i like the string resonance and amp feedback i feel thru a chunky neck.

+1 on all counts.
steveokla
Baron

Postby Mayhawk on Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:09 pm

chupy wrote:Alder Body $175 top route Warmoth
Neck $157 Warmoth
USACG neck is $228 price is higher, but I still prefer them.
Bone nut $3.30
Tuners $59.94
Cap .60 on up
Bridge Callaham $130
Pots $16.50
Wire $1 on up
Switch $13.94
Pickups Fralins $220
Knobs $7.20
Pick guard $22 on up
Trem cover $5.95
Jack $3.30
Jack plate $5.40
Neck plate with screws $5.95
String tree $2.81 for a set
Strap locks $12.31

More for paint. You could do it yourself, not that hard.

Total minus paint if you put it together yourself… $842.20 with USACG neck $913.20

Cheaper or higher depending on pickups and what not.

All you need is basic tools, different gauge files for the nut and saddles, solder and a soldering iron and your good to go. :D

I have probably done this calculation about a hundred times............oh, and the same goes for amps....one of these days I gotta make a Metroamp.
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby Mayhawk on Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:13 pm

Oh, and the fact I love simple finishes (olympic white) makes the paint job a bit simpler. I have been known to haunt the Reranch site......
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby Britishampfan on Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:04 am

You can add me to the list, my strat neck feels like a toy after playing the LP with the baseball bat neck.
Britishampfan
Connoisseur of Crunch

Postby firebirdjake on Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:27 pm

Big necks are a passion of mine, the way I look at it what transfers the vibrations of the strings to the body if not the neck ? Myself, I just hunt down older acoustics for their neck profiles- larger necks are MUCH more comfortable for me, especially as I age and develop hand problems(carpal tunnel, touch of mild arthritis). For me it's the depth moreso than width that helps- but I'll take both when I can get 'em together :mrgreen: .
Sua cuique voluptas

"What's polarity mean?" Quoth the "sound man" at a gig 11-16- 2012

Don't die with the Music in You!
firebirdjake
Knight

Location: Betwixt the plank and the earschplittenloudenboomer.

Postby steveokla on Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:51 pm

firebirdjake wrote:Big necks are a passion of mine, the way I look at it what transfers the vibrations of the strings to the body if not the neck ? Myself, I just hunt down older acoustics for their neck profiles- larger necks are MUCH more comfortable for me, especially as I age and develop hand problems(carpal tunnel, touch of mild arthritis). For me it's the depth moreso than width that helps- but I'll take both when I can get 'em together :mrgreen: .

When I really feel like punishing myself, I play a WIDE, THIN neck--a couple hours of that could send me to the ER.

I concur--it's thick (deep) not wide that I find comfortable; however, I'll play a wider neck if it's thick enough.

I think that's the principle reason I find myself playing my Tele's more than my strats lately (and my strat necks are chunkers, too)--they (the Tele's) are a little narrower (i.e., across the fretboard) than the strats and real deep. It's the NOcaster that got me started. I've since picked up another off e bay--it's one of those "master builts", the only one I've ever owned. The "master" is Gregg Fessler (Fesler?) who isn't afraid to put a firehose for a neck on a Tele/Nocaster. It's even chunkier than my regular old Nocaster. Love them both.

Strat-wise, I've slimmed down to an oly white, rosewood board (my grail combo) "Noneck" strat I one-offed through Music Zoo. Humongous neck. Supposed to be a Nocaster neck (hence the name), though it's still a little wider than both my Tele's.

Oddly, the only other neck I really like is on my '73 strat (I had a '74 for a while, and it had the same neck). It's a "U" and nicely chunky, though not NOcaster chunky. It's also a little narrower at the nut than my other strats--almost like a Tele in that regard. If it had a 9.5 radius, it would be the perfect neck for my hand. I don't know much of the history of the '70's necks, but the two I've had with the fairly chunky, slightly narrower at the nut profile are different from any other strats I've played.
steveokla
Baron

Postby firebirdjake on Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:11 pm

:ROFLMAO: I agree wholeheartedly, a wide thin neck is torture for my left hand, bring on the half- a baseball bat necks for me !!! The worst example that comes to mind was a flat out gorgeous Les Paul Classic in cherry red I couldn't wait to try- Eeeyuck ! The neck was thinner front to back than an Ibanez Wizzer (was that wizard 2?) neck I compared it to. Would've made a great wall hanging though :twisted: .

I have built a couple "F" type guitars with custom necks from Musikraft (here in Joisey, believe the town is Landisville) and they fit my hand like a glove :lol: . The manager looked at me funny when I told him I wanted the neck 1" deep, a few other people tried it and the last time I was there they were stocking them :thumbsup: .

Plic Happy, Pick Comfy :cheers: Jake.

ps) Checked out a CS Nocaster relic a local dealer has in stock, candy apple red heavy relic job- Superb Axe indeed, looks the part and has a huge neck, big, fat, and rounded- guess a "U" shape. MMMMMM MMMMMMM good ! :thumbsup:
Last edited by firebirdjake on Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sua cuique voluptas

"What's polarity mean?" Quoth the "sound man" at a gig 11-16- 2012

Don't die with the Music in You!
firebirdjake
Knight

Location: Betwixt the plank and the earschplittenloudenboomer.

Postby steveokla on Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:05 am

firebirdjake wrote::ROFLMAO: I agree wholeheartedly, a wide thin neck is torture for my left hand, bring on the half- a baseball bat necks for me !!! The worst example that comes to mind was a flat out gorgeous Les Paul Classic in cherry red I couldn't wait to try- Eeeyuck ! The neck was thinner front to back than an Ibanez Wizzer (was that wizard 2?) neck I compared it to. Would've made a great wall hanging though :twisted: .

I have built a couple "F" type guitars with custom necks from Musikraft (here in Joisey, believe the town is Landisville) and they fit my hand like a glove :lol: . The manager looked at me funny when I told him I wanted the neck 1" deep, a few other people tried it and the last time I was there they were stocking them :thumbsup: .

Plic Happy, Pick Comfy :cheers: Jake.

I bought a Roy G. Strat some years ago-highly touted guitar. I think (emphasis on think) it was supposed to be a '66 or something, though I'm not certain. Anyway, it was a real nice CS axe, but had that skinny wide neck you describe: painful, is the word that springs to mind. Nevertheless, it cost a bunch, sounded real nice, an was a beautiful instrument, so I kept struggling with it, trying to make it work. It didn't and ended up getting swapped-out. I was frankly real happy to see it go,
steveokla
Baron

Postby dylumph on Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:02 pm

My 3 favorite guitars to play have big necks. R-7 & R-6 LPs & my Rich Robinson 335 (wide). I like melodic leads. Shredding bores the piss out of me. Notes seem to feel coming from a bigger neck. Just a observation.
dylumph
dylumph
Knight

Previous

Return to Modern Guitars