My budget gig rig has me smiling

Contemporary amp builders and manufacturers.

My budget gig rig has me smiling

Postby Tman on Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:19 am

I recently pieced together an excellent sounding gig rig using an Egnater Tweaker 15 Head, a v30 loaded 212 cab and Peavey Delta Blues and I'm even shocked at how good it sounds.

I've been running through both amps by running guitar > Crunchy Frog OD/boost > DB115 > EFX send > EB Jr volume pedal > Echo Park > stereo L&R to TCE Hall of Fame > TCE Left > DB115 EFX return & TCE Right > T15 EFX Return. The Tweaker 15 is powering a V30 loaded 212. I've got fantastic clean tone, really nice crunch and ripping lead tone a stomp away and complete volume control of all. I think I might actually be satisfied for the first time in 37 years of searching. :shock: :mrgreen:
Tman
Knight

Re: My budget gig rig has me smiling

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:45 am

only 37 years???

i've been at it for the past 47 years!

lovin my 68 sfdr with jensen p12n. the amp that just doesn't stop giving!!!!!
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Tman on Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:58 pm

I've got a number of vintage amps that I feel that way about but nothing modern that I would take out and gig with. They just don't have the flexibility and I don't want to beat the hell out of them. Everything I've tried up until now has been a compromise in one area or another. It's typically the tone vs. volume issue. I bought a Delta Blues 115 on a whim because I needed a usable gig amp for something I had coming up and a lot of guys seem to like the Classic Series amps for gig duty. I've never been a Peavey guy and wasn't expection much but it was inexpensive and I figured I could always flip it for my money back if I didn't like it. I was hoping it would at least be a workable pedal platform but it actually ended up being much more. I've had a lot of amps that cost 3X the price of this thing that didn't sound half as good. I guess I need to stop being a snob. :Doh:
Tman
Knight

Postby Mr. Arkadin on Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:09 pm

Tman wrote:I've got a number of vintage amps that I feel that way about but nothing modern that I would take out and gig with. They just don't have the flexibility and I don't want to beat the hell out of them. Everything I've tried up until now has been a compromise in one area or another. It's typically the tone vs. volume issue.

That's been my problem & biggest issue as well. I need at least 50 watts for headroom, but I can't open that type of amp up to where it sounds good, as it will destroy the house mix & get us canned. I'm going back & forth between a custom amp w/a master volume (which I don't like on amps) and a rack system.
Mr. Arkadin
He of the over-sized avatar

Postby Tman on Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:09 pm

Are you using both or just flipping back and forth trying to make one work? I know what you mean. A two amp rig does make that a lot easier to deal with but then you're haulin' two amps. That's not so bad if they are two smallish combos. I don't play out much these days so I don't really care that much about what I'm lugging around as long as it isn't a half stack. That always seems to draw dirty looks these days. If I wanted to shed some weight I would replace the cab with a pine 212 I have that is A LOT lighter and would build a new pine cab for the DB115. It's 50lbs but I think most of the weight is the cab. I'm sure a pine cab would cut the weight in half.
Tman
Knight

Postby Mr. Arkadin on Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:05 am

I used both rack & amp when we did our live video to have more mikes & textures to work with, but I usually just use one or the other. My rack is around 10 spaces with tube preamps & tube power amp, so it's a lot to haul around. The amp is a 50 watt made by forum member gldtp99 & has three volume controls, effects loop, etc., but like all amps, it sounds best when you wind it up & let the tubes work.

The rack sounds good, but is more refined & not quite as raw sounding as an amp. The amp sounds good, but you can't get the levels low enough for club work.

I've done the attenuator thing & I don't like what it does to the sound. Slaving works for me, but there again you're carrying a lot of stuff--It makes more sense to just use the rack.
Mr. Arkadin
He of the over-sized avatar

Postby Tman on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:56 am

I'm not playing the T15 much anymore but that DB115 is a keeper.

Tman
Knight

Postby Unit_1 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:34 pm

Sounds great Tman

what did you use to record with?

I really seriously need to stop screwing around all day and actually get some of my songs down
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Tman on Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:51 pm

Unit_1 wrote:what did you use to record with?

Late response.... :whistling: Just a SM57 plugged into an older Jamman pedal. My wife bought me a little digital Tascam a few years ago but I couldn't wrap my head around the 20 different menues you need to navigate through to make a simple recording so it's still new in it's box. :lol:

The DB115 hasn't been getting much love and the T15 is back. :mrgreen:

Tman
Knight

Return to Modern Guitar Amps and Builders