D Bass Vox Loudspeaker Unit.

AC4, AC10, AC10 Twin, AC10 Reverb Twin, AC15, AC15 Twin, AC30 Twin, AC30 Super Twin, Top-Boost, Non-Top-Boost, AC50, AC100, 710, 760, 7120

D Bass Vox Loudspeaker Unit.

Postby grunt on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:08 am

Hi everybody,

Newbie here busy on 2nd project. It is a Vox product "made in England" with good quality 12 ply material for the cabinet. On there it had a black covering glued with hide glue me thinks.......
It has been butchered, but I would like to make it usefull again. It has 2 wheels, which allows you to tip the unit backwards (off its stand) and wheel it around.

Going by the holes in the cabinet it could have had a bass head mounted on top?

The original circumference of the apperture = 33cm (just over 13 inches)

It now has a built in amp of sorts.

I have made photographs which I will link.

Is there anybody on this forum who can give me more info on:

(i)what it should have looked like,
(ii)what the size of the speaker was, (product name if possible)
(iii)what the power rating was of this unit when "married" to a suitable Bass Head
(iv)what was the original name of the amplifier (model no??), as there is a "GEM printed circuitboard with two input ports, now mounted inside.

If you need more info, please tell me what you need, and I'll try and look for it.

Thanking you.

[/img]http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag73/jeetjemineetje/VOX/Voxbackplate.jpg[img] Backplate
Image Front View
Image Back View
grunt
Peasant

Re: D Bass Vox Loudspeaker Unit.

Postby grunt on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:12 am

Sorry, but I see the picture of the Back Plate did not come through.

grunt
Peasant

Postby Grog on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:04 pm

The use of the Vox Sound Equipment name dates it to post April 1968 to late 69/early 1970.

It looks like a Dynamic Bass Speaker cab I guess that's what the D stands for, it would have had a 15" speaker in it as per the specs here.

http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/dynamic_bass.html

In fact, I could do with one of these for the Dynamic bass amp I have. :roll:
AC30 Super Twin(1963) S/N 9952N Rear Panel TB Head, Dynamic Bass (1968) #1153, AC30CCH, V212BN 1 x Alnico Blue 1 x Wharfdale, VBM1, AC4TV, Marshall JTM312, Gibson 347(1987), Les Paul Custom, US Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster, CIJ Jaguar HH.

http://www.myspace.com/fishheads2

The Colin Staples Blues Jam, Every Wednesday at The Navigation, Wilford St, Nottingham.
Grog
Baron

Postby grunt on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:30 am

Hi Grog, thank you for your input. Yesterday I discovered the picture you've given me on that link. It was interesting to see the specs mention 30 watts on that link, and the "conquerer" model has an output of 70 or so watts. This unit came out of an African Missionary church I was told, and I've since stripped it. The wood is pure quality plywood (12ply) when compared to today's chipboard units. I will also start hunting for a 15 inch speaker, and get a new back and front panel. These boards are bolted to the 2 wooden rims inside the unit. If you look carefully at the brochure, you'll notice that instead of a grill, the speaker gets protection from the way the ply boards have "quarters" jigsawed out of the circle (in front of the speaker), which is covered with material. Then I found a site that sold the plastic VOX badge for $25... (rip off) The 15" speakers (Goodman's Audiom)are offered for sale, but wickedly expensive....
Then there is the amp: two pictures included. At this stage I do not know if it is original?? But I will start hunting for the schematics, and hopefully get to more info that way.
grunt
Peasant

Postby frankc on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:39 am

OMG! What is this? The chassis does not appear to be original. On the other hand it is difficult to say if it may be based on the original board or not. I think it would be interesting to have more close-ups of the board, and the panel too.

/Frank
Vox AC30, Vox Conqueror, Vox Defiant, Vox Pathfinder, Vox AD120VTH, Vox 710, Selmer Treble'n Bass, Selmer Thunderbird Fifty, Yamaha G100,http://www.etcetera-music.eu/public/instruments/Vox/
frankc
Page

Postby Grog on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:17 pm

Here's a link to all the internal shots of my Dynamic Bass amp. I have to say I cant see nay resemblance between the two or even as though it may have started as a Vox Dynamic amp.

http://s217.photobucket.com/user/grog_a ... mic%20bass

The solid state range of which the dynamic is part shared similar components over the range and power amp assemblies being one of them. However the Conqueror at 70 watts would have an uprated power stage and the pre-amp would be geared for guitar with the three effects on the footswitch and without the Tone x circuit of the bass amps. The speaker cab configurations were different as well.
AC30 Super Twin(1963) S/N 9952N Rear Panel TB Head, Dynamic Bass (1968) #1153, AC30CCH, V212BN 1 x Alnico Blue 1 x Wharfdale, VBM1, AC4TV, Marshall JTM312, Gibson 347(1987), Les Paul Custom, US Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster, CIJ Jaguar HH.

http://www.myspace.com/fishheads2

The Colin Staples Blues Jam, Every Wednesday at The Navigation, Wilford St, Nottingham.
Grog
Baron

Postby grunt on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:34 pm

Gentlemen, Thank you for commenting, as this is all new to me. Below another piccie of the circuitboard (GEM??)
This could be an aftermarket / alternative attempt at a conversion??
Please remember, I do not have the Bass Head, so the unit has probably been adapted /butchered.
The back panel can be seen on the next photo.
grunt
Peasant

Postby frankc on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:28 pm

I have no idea what that amp is, but it certainly is not a Vox. The original condition of the cab would be entirely closed back. Someone cut open a big hole to make room for that integrated amp. Maybe that made sense to the original owner if the amp was suppose to be transported a lot under difficult circumstances, but from a Vox amp afficionado perspective, it is a really ugly job. If I were you, I would cut a correct sized plywood or birch back for the cab, and cover it in some modern black vynide, and transfer the serial plate to the new back. I would also recover the front with some new black grill cloth instead of the more, ahem, "colonial" style grill it has now.

Oh yeah, and I would throw away that amp.

/Frank
Vox AC30, Vox Conqueror, Vox Defiant, Vox Pathfinder, Vox AD120VTH, Vox 710, Selmer Treble'n Bass, Selmer Thunderbird Fifty, Yamaha G100,http://www.etcetera-music.eu/public/instruments/Vox/
frankc
Page

Postby grunt on Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:04 am

Hi Frankc,
Thanks for your reply. As things stand now, I realize that it is not an authentic amp, and it could have been adapted for the reasons you mentioned. I would however like to use the beautifull cabinet, for the same purpose, and hunt for a good speaker, and power it with another amp until (over time) I bump into something that suits this. We can use it in our band, and it will be "recycled" and appreciated. I'll take some more photos as things progress. The back and front plates will be replaced with new plywood, new hardware, handles, and a paint job. This work is also another part of the fun for me. I see that Uwe has also enquired through a thread about the D Bass. It was a good coincidence to read the replies there.
grunt
Peasant

Postby domino on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:03 am

vox (Thomas in the USA) did actually make an odd combo amp like this with thomas vox parts, isn't it just one of these -

http://www.voxshowroom.com/us/amp/scorp.html
domino
Squire

Postby frankc on Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:20 pm

It is not. The plate clearly states that it is a UK made cab, and apart from the cutout and the exotic grill, it is obviously a Dynamic Bass cab.

/Frank
frankc
Page

Postby domino on Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:37 pm

- great cloth though, you could do the dishes between takes....
domino
Squire

Postby grunt on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:36 am

we have identified the little amp. It comes from an old reel to reel tape recorder....... :( I will have to look at getting another amp to power this unit once I have a 15 inch speaker.
grunt
Peasant

Postby OASISBLUENOSE on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:51 am

I've just bought a pair of reconed Celestion G15C speakers which I only need one of. They are 150 watt but now 8 ohm instead of 16.I'm using one in the T60 cab I've just got.
They are the correct spider frame ones.
Let me know if you're interested.
OASISBLUENOSE
Page

Postby grunt on Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:23 pm

thank you oasisbluenose. I have had a look at what is available, and I am not sure what you'd want for that re-coned speaker + postage? Been having a look at the make Infinity, but need to verify this product.
grunt
Peasant

Next

Return to Vox