Coyote bias

Discuss the Mojave AmpWorks product line.

Coyote bias

Postby charles anthony on Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:59 am

Hello, I have a coyote amp that seems to redplate almost every tube I try. It is slightly visibly noticable. I have used the jj tubes that came from factory mostly. They have maybe fourty hours one them. Amp seems to run fine . Plate voltage is way lower than the traynor ygm3 that runs near 400vdc yet somehow does not cook the tubes. I am just wondering if anyone has had to adjust cathode resistor value . Thanks in advance as I rarely get a chance to visit this forum.
charles anthony
Peasant

Re: Coyote bias

Postby Unit_1 on Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:10 pm

How old is the amp? Just wondering if somehow the resistor or capacitor on the cathode bias has gone bad. I virtually know nothing about the internal workings of this amp.....
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

asimov wrote:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby charles anthony on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:46 am

I cant believe , but I got this along with the last peacemaker when Vic had a deal going . I think that was way back in 2009...? Amp is a simple afair . Straightforward i should say. Not many bells and whistles. Beautifully laid out internally, i just don't feel like opening it to take any readings. If i remember correctly it does not run overly high plate voltage on power tubes. I think there is a high wattage 125ohm cathode bias resistor inside. I do have one more pair of old Saratov 6p14p I got awhile ago from Terry Kilgore. I'll dig them out if need be. Thanks for the response and take care.
charles anthony
Peasant

Postby Unit_1 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:59 pm

Well eight years is not nearly enough time for something to go bad from age, but enough time for an original flaw in a component to show up, especially in a capacitor. 125ohms sounds about right for the resistor on a EL84....

Just looked at a picture of one, it is an electrolytic cap, if the amp hasn't been used much it could have dried out.....

Right next to the HUGE black resistor!

The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

asimov wrote:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby charles anthony on Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:39 am

What a beautiful build. I thank you for the insight. I will ask you how you run yours? Because i almost always either max or almost max treble volume. Bass volume maybe half or more. Tone maxed. Forget damping, no need. Great tones and super sensitive to pick attack, pickup type and cleans up really well on guitar volume knob. As far as effects, dont really use any. I own something like twenty amps , so i cant afford any effects. :oops: I wish i could hide behind some cool drive and delay with some compression, my playing would certainly thank me.
charles anthony
Peasant

Return to Mojave AmpWorks