Burgundy Mist - Gibson Vs Fender

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Burgundy Mist - Gibson Vs Fender

Postby AC50 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:14 am

I'm looking at pictures of Gibson ES-335's, cir. 1965-66, that were done up in a solid metalic red color, rather than that typical translucent cherry which allows the wood grain to show. A little research indicates that the color was referred to as Burgundy Mist. Supposedly, it was a GM automobile color used on Oldsmobiles. I also know that Fender has offered guitars in a color that's known as Burgundy Mist, but it doesn't look like the color Gibson used. (The Gibsons are much more red in color). Anyone know what's going with that? I've got a refinish job ahead of me.
AC50
Emperor

Re: Burgundy Mist - Gibson Vs Fender

Postby Camembert Electrique on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:28 am

"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise' "

John Peel
Camembert Electrique
Squire

Postby Mayhawk on Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:07 am

In my book....think it's "Gibson, 100 years..." or something to that effect, it states burgandy mist was a color used by Gibson as it was good for sealing the guitar and covering up for problems like the wood being subpar or not completely dry. Something about tree fluids, sap, coming out after the guitars were finished.....the burgandy mist seemed to cover a lot of those issues. Needless to say, the next CEO of Gibson (forgot his name) had something to say about it. I will try and find that old book and research it......
What th......this guitar was in tune when I bought it.....
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby AC50 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:17 am

Please let me know what you find out. What I'm particularly in need of is the paint code for the Gibson version, if someone here happens to stumble on it. I'm fairly good with Google, and I thought I saw a site once that had all those old paint codes listed, but I'll be dipped if I can find it now.
AC50
Emperor

Postby Alnico on Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:16 am

If you're referring to Gibson "Sparkling Burgundy", that's a two stage finish: candy red over a gold base.
Alnico
Knight

Postby AC50 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:51 pm

Ahhh . . . Sparkling Burgundy! I think you're right, I think I mixed the two up in my head. Yes, let me investigate that one instead. I'll get back, thank you!
AC50
Emperor

Postby AC50 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:02 pm

That's it. Sparkling Burgundy! Here are pictures of a '66 ES-335 in that color. You can click the various images for full size view. http://folkwaymusic.com/museum/electrics-/id.1027/

Candy apple over gold you say? Any idea where I can get a paint code for that red?
AC50
Emperor

Postby pckpat on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:14 pm

Hmmm,that's funny...I tried out that '66 Burgundy 335 last time I was at Folkway Music in Guelph(I believe it was listed at between $4500 and $6000 somewhere).Pretty nice,but I have always preferred the cherry red on ES series Gibsons.I do have a Strat body that was Burgundy Mist,but an idjit who had it previously did some weird thing with flat black,that covered up a lot of the nice B.M paint :roll:
-iirc,Fender custom paints were mostly by Ford-CIL/DuPont Dulux seems to come to mind.(which of course,means it's probably something totally different :lol: )-These guys have the Fender Burgundy Mist Metallic,but not the Gibson :x
http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/fencuscol.html I was lookindg at a bunch of Gibsons and Epi's on GBase that came up when I put "Burgundy" in the search engine-they run the gamut from bright reddish tints to an almost brown.? :? -Anyways,good luck with the refin,Kent. :thumbsup:
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby pckpat on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:41 pm

"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Return to Off-Topic Lounge