Tungsram ecc83 and mullard

How can you get a great tone without a good understanding of what makes your amp tick? — EL34, EL84, 6L6, KT66, KT88, 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, EF86, Output Transformers, Power Transformers, Capacitors, Resistors and everything else that it takes to make a tube amp sing!

Tungsram ecc83 and mullard

Postby Guitar-Sam on Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:07 am

Whats the deal with the Tungsrams.I here there similar to Mullards.How much so?
I have a couple of these and they sound decent and well balanced but are kinna lacking in presence or something and are a hair fuzzy.IMO
Marshall 2554 25/50 Silver Jubilee 1x12
Marshall 4203 Artist 1x12 30W(FORSALE)
Marshall 1960AX 4x12
Park G25R SS 1x10 rehearsal combo
1979 Silver Anniversary Stratocaster
76-79' Epiphone Scroll SC450
Epiphone LP.jr
Guitar-Sam:Official voice of the Plexi Palace peanut gallery.
Guitar-Sam
Knight

Postby TubeGetter on Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:18 am

Everyone seems to think they sound like grey plate RCA's.
TubeGetter
Emperor

Postby psychodave on Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:55 pm

TubeGetter wrote:Everyone seems to think they sound like grey plate RCA's.

I dont think Tungsram sound like RCA at all. I think Tungsram's are smoother and have more "depth".
RCA's seem to have a certain "crunch" to them...and in high gain apps, they tend to sound buzzy to me.
I have a lot of stuff!
psychodave
Baron

Postby Roodboy on Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:02 pm

I think there are different manufacturers with Tungsram labels and one is Mullard.
I have also had yellow printed Tungsrams (I think Yugoslavian), clear (Hungarian IIRC), and Groove Tube labeled.
A good way to ID a Tungsram is the metal tag with number stamped in it by the top. (I think is called a getter?)
Anyway, I like the yellow and the groove tube labeled (its from the early 80's). The clear sounded like and RFT wannabe but not as detailed and a bit fizzy. The yellow and GT sound Smooth, less mids than a Mullard and less aggressive as well.
Never used an RCA that I know of.
Roodboy
Certified

Postby TubeGetter on Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:59 pm

psychodave wrote:
TubeGetter wrote:Everyone seems to think they sound like grey plate RCA's.

I dont think Tungsram sound like RCA at all. I think Tungsram's are smoother and have more "depth".
RCA's seem to have a certain "crunch" to them...and in high gain apps, they tend to sound buzzy to me.

Wow, not what I hear, but everyone has different ears I guess.
TubeGetter
Emperor

Postby dtw576 on Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:01 pm

I've got a half dozen unused Tungsram yellow labels I've never even messed around with. One of those spur of the moment buys several years ago.

Guess I ought to pull one out and try it in V1, eh? :wink:
dtw576
Prince

RCAs

Postby Guitar-Sam on Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:16 pm

Whats every ones opinion on RCAs in a Marshall then??
I like the Tungsrams but they are a bit too flat or like muffled sounding too me.
Think RCAs would be like a more lively Tungsram??
Psychodave,what do ya mean RCAs have a certain crunch to them and are slightly buzzy in high gain amps??I kinna find that in GEs IMO.
Marshall 1960AX 4x12
Epiphone LP.jr
Guitar-Sam
Knight

Postby Tube Tramp on Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:10 am

i used long plate in pi for marshall for years.and i love the tungsrams i think they are the finest value out there.they have a woody tone and i know what tg means by rca although i do not percieve its tone to be that similar hes talkin about the first voice growl and how quickly they break open.i think you talent scouts otta build you up a single ended amp and take a good long look at single pres instead of judgin them after 6 stages are goin.nothin shows a pres attributes like a single ended .it has helped me judge tone qualtiy and build.let me be honest i like tungsrams and rfts for my applications more then any mullard 17 mm .simply because of overexposure.the best gutair players out there dont get a second look from me if they are usin a 68 plexi loaded with the blackburn crown jewels .to me it is mediocre.why? cause everone and their mother uses marshall amps and mullard tubes.there are other alternatives ,one only has to look and listen.which brings to mind another issue i have to constantly remind myself of,this being please only take anything i myself personally say about tubes with a grain of salt they are only half truths to other people..im just glad you fellers are awake on the wild side because if we didnt have all these tone gear heads in here.it would be very undewhelming . there are some things we can all agree upon.......we need more tubes! more amps! and more beer! ...and my hero leroy jenkins.........hahah.oh and to drag aspen pittman behind my chariot! for starting this matched tube bidness ,that has me slaving over a hot maxi .tracy and i toodled with a 72 superlead last night and im still bewildered how the sam hill they ever got those things to work they way they do...amazing .looks like a bunch of winos wired it.then passed it over to a band of monkeys for the final inspection.ha. and fenders? dont get me started.!
Tube Tramp
King

Postby JF on Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:04 am

Terry you are my favorite greengo weeeeeeeee :mrgreen:

Frog
1959 lover
JF
Page

Postby Dai on Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:11 am

yeah, ultimately you have to try it. People use diff. gtrs., amps, setups, playing style, etc. etc. For example, the circuit in the amp could make a diff. in the apparent microphonics the marshall br. ch. w/the .68uF bypass will probably show less than 250uF or 330uF bypass (which has better low freq. response), things like that can make a difference in perception. Good designers tune the circuit to match the tubes, as I understand it, etc.
Last edited by Dai on Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dai
Baron

Postby ozsubrosa on Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:27 pm

I tried a greyplate RCA alongside a GE, Mullard etc in a 6-channel Laney PA. The RCA and GE were very similar, and in pretty much the way described. I still prefer playing bass through the GE over the Mullard (the RCA is back in the box), but the guitarist sounds better, to our ears, through the Mullard. I take TTs point that we prefer it because it sounds like you'd expect a Mullard through EL34s to sound.

Oz
"Have bass, will valve"
ozsubrosa
Baron

Postby Guitar-Sam on Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:18 pm

The more tubes I buy,The more tubes I buy.Every time I buy another ebay sample I find another tube and another direction to take my tone if I so prefered.
There for I'm discovering now that,I don't have to settle for "I love my tone cept for_______"Or "Thats almost the way I want it".Realize now that there is some sort of combination of tubes that will gimme atleast 95% of the tone in my head.
Ever since I bought my first Marshall I've been playin slightly too clean(AC/DC tone when I really wanted Thin Lizzy,UFO etc..) cause I couldn't take the buzzyness when it was overdriven properly.That turned out to be cheap chinese preamp tubes.I had no idea!!!The first tubes I ever bought to retube with were EH they cleaned up the buzz but then the amp was clunky.I was too stupid to realize it was the tubes making it clunky.
So now that I found NOS tubes and the vast tonal improvements they can make I'm on a mission from god to find my exact tone I want.
Anyway I got an ebay RCA comin for $5 to sample.
As far as tubes I'm trin everything I don't care if I gotta mix a Yugo with a mullard or Russian with a RCA etc...I just wanna find my tone then hoard whatever tubes gimme it.
Marshall 1960AX 4x12
Epiphone LP.jr
Guitar-Sam
Knight

DTW

Postby Axe Grinder on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:02 pm

dtw576 wrote:I've got a half dozen unused Tungsram yellow labels I've never even messed around with. One of those spur of the moment buys several years ago.

Ok 576..what's the verdict?
Axe Grinder
Knight

Re: DTW

Postby dtw576 on Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:39 pm

Axe Grinder wrote:
dtw576 wrote:I've got a half dozen unused Tungsram yellow labels I've never even messed around with. One of those spur of the moment buys several years ago.

Uh, too lazy to put one in yet. Guess I'll get around to it one of these days. :oops: :lol:
dtw576
Prince

Re: DTW

Postby Axe Grinder on Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:41 pm

dtw576 wrote:
Axe Grinder wrote:

Uh, too lazy to put one in yet. Guess I'll get around to it one of these days. :oops: :lol:

Ah shucks..you can send me some & I'll do the "Tube Review" 8)
Axe Grinder
Knight

Next

Return to Tubes, Transformers and Components