Stramp guitar amps? Info, anyone?

How can you get a great tone without a good understanding of what makes your amp tick? — EL34, EL84, 6L6, KT66, KT88, 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, EF86, Output Transformers, Power Transformers, Capacitors, Resistors and everything else that it takes to make a tube amp sing!

Stramp guitar amps? Info, anyone?

Postby thunderbirdesq on Sat Aug 24, 2002 7:58 pm

Hello, anyone know anything about Stramp amps? Apparently they were made in germany in the 70's, Rory Gallager used them, and they are very similar to a marshall, but that's about all I can find on them! Just picked one up for free and I'm looking for a schematic and general info about them. Thanks,<P> :confused:
Andrew Kohler<BR>The Buttons<BR>www.mp3.com/thebuttons
thunderbirdesq
Peasant

Re: Stramp guitar amps? Info, anyone?

Postby Ned B on Sat Aug 24, 2002 9:16 pm

Post some pictures as a lot of us are interested to gain more knowledge on them. I believe there is a schematic in the Pitman book. I'll check when I get home, though I'm sure someone can chime in on what page it is on.
Ned B
Baron

Postby thunderbirdesq on Sat Aug 24, 2002 11:27 pm

I have volume 3 of the book, but nothing about them in this one. I guess it's a bit outdated by now, though. I'll try to get some pics of this thing up tonight. Thanks,
thunderbirdesq
Peasant

Postby V8 on Sun Aug 25, 2002 12:28 am

Its on page 745 of edition #4 <P> Very similar to a Super Lead though it has no choke, shared cathode arrangement and a loop for an echo. I gotta look at this closer. <P>db
V8
Page

Postby dnix on Sun Aug 25, 2002 1:06 am

didnt Leslie West endorse them for a while?
dnix
Certified

Postby thunderbirdesq on Sun Aug 25, 2002 1:14 am

a loop for an echo? I don't see anything like that on this one. However, there is a spot on the PCB for another preamp tube socket and some unused connections as well. Maybe a different model, but is does look like a superlead inside! <P> I changed the burnt filter caps today and got it to stop blowing fuses, but within 30 secs of turning it on, it made pretty blue lightning inside the tubes and LOUD crackle-<BR>pop noises. Needless to say I haven't turned it on since.<BR> Guess this isn't gonna be as easy as I thought! I'm assuming I've got a short in the pwer supply somewhere. Correct? Anyone?<P>Thanks in advance,<BR> :eek:
thunderbirdesq
Peasant

Postby V8 on Sun Aug 25, 2002 10:53 am

Andrew<BR> Your tubes might be bad, try powering up without the tubes and check the voltages then use a set of known good tubes. Did you measure the bias voltage?<BR> Although you say ""burnt filter caps "" something else could be toasted! Don't forget the bias supply caps, I'd change those just to be safe. Also check the tube sockets for signs of arcing and clean or replace if necessary. double check the wiring and make sure everything is OK including all the voltages before putting the tubes back in. <BR>db
V8
Page

Postby thunderbirdesq on Sun Aug 25, 2002 12:49 pm

Voltages check out fine, but the tube sockets look a little shifty... There are 3 different kinds, so someone has already replaced a few, they all look crappy, though. I'll swap them out today and see what happens. along with the bias supply caps...<BR> I just had a thought... I'm assuming the 6550's that were in it are the correct tubes for this amp, but who knows? Anyone with vol. 4 of the pittman book who could glance at the schemo and let me know? Thanks again,<P> :D
thunderbirdesq
Peasant

Postby V8 on Sun Aug 25, 2002 2:38 pm

It don't say but me thinks they came with EL34's<P>db
V8
Page

Postby garbud on Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:18 pm

I own 2 working Stramp 2100A amps. I also have a schematic in pdf format. Who wants it?<BR>The amps came with EL34's not 6550's. Great tranformers and tone but that's it. Basically Marshall Super Lead/Bass on PCB with no choke. On the later ones the PCB was total garbage with both the preamp and power tubes held to the PCB with solder only. Pull a power tube and you pull a socket right out. The PCB's need to be squeeky clean of all carbon or else they will flash and lift a trace. My guess is most of the ones made before Dynacord took over the company (500-600) are burnt up. Ken Fischer (Trainwreck) wrote an article detailing the Stramps about 6 years ago in Vintage Guitar. When Dynacord took over they went to Solid State and quickly ceased production.<P>Garbud
garbud
Peasant

Postby skalie on Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:50 pm

garbud wrote:I own 2 working Stramp 2100A amps. I also have a schematic in pdf format. Who wants it?

yes please

skalamanda@yahoo.com
skalie
Squire

Return to Tubes, Transformers and Components