Roland JC-120 (4x12 cabinet)

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

Roland JC-120 (4x12 cabinet)

Postby Met_K on Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:35 am

Morning, folks!

Was browsing Harmony Central the other day and something caught my eye. It's rather rare that you can't find information about a cabinet somewhere - let alone not being able to find out about it here - but I couldn't find anything on it here nor there nor anywhere.

The amp in question is the 4x12 cabiner version of the old Roland JC-120 chorus amp. So, what's the deal with this little 4x12? Curiosity's going to kill this cat one day - but I can't help it. The Roland JC-120 seems to be universally panned as a horrible little amplifier by most of the populace but there are some rather big names with the chops to back them up who seem to love them - both the cabinet version and the combos.

I realize Roland aren't exactly who you should goto for amp goodness, but this is just too much. Is it a good amp, or is it a horrible abomination that even a deaf person wouldn't want to play?

Curious minds must know the lowdown on this baby, and there's no better place to ask than this. :)

Thank you again, fellas. As always, any questions or comments are welcome and I wholeheartedly appreciate the knowledge imparted from you to me.

Bryce

Edit: And please note, I'm not asking "Is it worth buying?" I'm simply asking what it's all about. It helps to clarify that sometimes I find! :)
Closed for Inventory
Met_K
Knight

Re: Roland JC-120 (4x12 cabinet)

Postby Star*Guitar on Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:25 pm

I had one of those things for years. It really was an uninspiring amp. It is cold, britter, has a treble that cuts like a knife in your ears.

The best thing about those amps are the stereo chorus...that is killer..It is sweet swirly and pans nicely from one side to the other. It seems too roll off those brittle highs when engaged.

I didn't know enough about amps when I bought it. I was a stupid kid. A salesman talked me out of a Marshall when I was shopping. I know that guy that sold it to me. To this day I have a bug up my butt towards him because of it.

It was that nice chorus sound during that craze of the eighties that made me listen to him. I am mad at myself for being a sucker too.

Anyway..they don't do distortion at all. If you plug a stomp in front...forget it...no matter what you put in front of it...it sounds like crap.
Star*Guitar
Star*Guitar
Baron

Postby Star*Guitar on Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:29 pm

Also of note. Those amps are solid state..no tubes.
Star*Guitar
Star*Guitar
Baron

Postby ¤klÿn¡§§¤ on Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:23 pm

Originally posted by Star*Guitar:
cuts like a knife
funny you should mention that.. speaking of "big name" players ;)
nothing says *vintage* like a stripped pan-head
¤klÿn¡§§¤
Dances With Valves

Postby DreamTone7 on Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:27 pm

Those amps work well for clean only. Jazz guys like 'em alot...but you would be surprised by some who have used them. For a listen, check out the intro to "Natural Science" by Rush. (Told you you'd be surprised ;) )
He that hath an ear, let him hear.
DreamTone7
Baron

Postby mrbeasty on Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:22 pm

They have a gorgeous stereo clean tone that is very unique (IMHO) ... very dry and crystal-like ... the crunch/distortion is horrible.

They also make good slave-amps if you have an amp w/ a line out ... I used a Peavey Classic 50 2x12 cranked out w/ the line-out going to tre FX return of a JC-120 (w/ a little chorus on) and it was BIG ... :D
"People need to know that this zombie menace, left unchecked, will be the death of us all!"
mrbeasty
Prince

Postby Roy Boltz on Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:37 pm

If you like ultra-clean those JC's are hard to beat!

They also make good slave-amps if you have an amp w/ a line out ... I used a Peavey Classic 50 2x12 cranked out w/ the line-out going to tre FX return of a JC-120 (w/ a little chorus on) and it was BIG
I guess the chorus effect is post loop!
I guess it would indeed make a good effects amp!
Roy Boltz
King

Postby 8lbs8k on Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:19 pm

I had one in the late eighties. Sounded great with a Jazzmaster totally clean. Sounded terrible with anything in front of it besides delay. Sounded terrible once you turned it up past 7 -- SS distortion is gnarly!!

Great for clean though.
Josh

3T's
8lbs8k
Peasant

Postby mrbeasty on Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:19 pm

Originally posted by Roy Boltz:
I guess the chorus effect is post loop!
I guess it would indeed make a good effects amp!
It is! They do, except they are MEGA-HEAVY.
"People need to know that this zombie menace, left unchecked, will be the death of us all!"
mrbeasty
Prince

Postby Met_K on Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:42 pm

Thanks for all of the input, fellas. It sounds like it'd be a great addition to a setup involving clean amps but not much more than that. It really was a bit hard to find anything on; most of the opinions I found ranged from "It's the worst amp ever made" with no real reason listed to "It sounds great for what I do!" without any real clarification of what they do.

Once again, the Plexi Palace came through. You guys are excellent - I appreciate the knowledge so very much.
Closed for Inventory
Met_K
Knight

Postby mrbeasty on Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:56 pm

Originally posted by Bryce Prewitt:
Thanks for all of the input, fellas. It sounds like it'd be a great addition to a setup involving clean amps but not much more than that. It really was a bit hard to find anything on; most of the opinions I found ranged from "It's the worst amp ever made" with no real reason listed to "It sounds great for what I do!" without any real clarification of what they do.

Once again, the Plexi Palace came through. You guys are excellent - I appreciate the knowledge so very much.
They are great for electro-acoustic instruments (guitars or even violin), they are great w/ CLEAN electric guitar. It is the cleanest of clean, the crunch is very weak but could be usable in a jam, the distortion is horrible. They could probably do great w/ a POD or something like that.
Note: there are two channels: a clean channel and a Overdrive channel. The second is clean too but has a bigger EQ section and has the "distortion" feature/knob. I remember the 2nd channel being the best of the two as long as you keep the "distortion" off. Tha amp will NOT distort EVER, unless you use the "distortion" feature. It can give you 120 watts (2x60) of pure clean stereo sound.

Guys like James Hetfield or George Lynch use JC-120s all the time but for clean ONLY.

IMHO-The JC-120 are best w/ a mellow guitar. Dry panks w/ active pick-ups and heavy gauge strings will NOT sound good in a Roland Jazz-horus.
mrbeasty
Prince

Postby epi on Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:50 pm

I agree with Mr.Beasty.
Almost all the rental studios here in Japan have JC-120, so Japanese guitarists have been forced to accustomed to use it. I don't like the amp at all. But it's difficult to explain tone or preference by words.
Good points of the amp in my opinion are ;
- Heavy duty (maintenance free).
- Less individual differences than tube amps. One JC-120 sounds almost the same as the other JC-120.
epi
Page

Postby DreamTone7 on Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:03 pm

Hi epi...couldn't help but notice your link and clicked on it for the Japanese perspective of this well-worn topic. A couple things...the Greenbacks were in fact G12H-30s (not G12M-25s), and the tubes were biased "hot" so they would draw a lot of current (more a clarification issue other than a change to what you have). I know he turned the variac down to get his sound, but I don't know when he started using that trick. Someone else on the board might know. Take care...

DT
He that hath an ear, let him hear.
DreamTone7
Baron

Postby pckpat on Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:21 pm

the other guitarist in my eighties band had one-used old firebirds thru it with a boss ds-1(or sumthin like that)i had a bf super and a 50wt. hiwatt on the other side. he could get some good sounds out of it(but of course he is an excellent player).i remember seeing the first gabriel tour and both fripp and steve hunter had one(altho iirc hunter had a halfstack too)they would never work for me, i only ever used s/s for bass.
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby DocSynizter on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:15 am

I don't know much about the combo amps but I have two Roland JC-120 4x12 cabinets that I stack on top of two custom built 1x18 cabinets and power with two vintage Yamaha G-100 heads usually running just a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal for the crunch and a wah pedal and the tone, clarity and punch is unbelievable. I've played through just about every stack and combo you can think of (Marshall, Peavy, Soldano, Fender, Crate, Line 6, etc) and ended up liking these the best. The only problem is the G-100s are apparently very rare now so I'm going to have a little trouble expanding to a couple more stacks for bigger shows. The good news though is they mic very well through a good PA without distorting. Anyway, coupled with my Les Paul they're excellent for everything from death metal to classic rock to clean blues and jazz. I don't know if we're allowed to post links on here but I have a bunch of videos on my youtube channel (DocSynizter1) of them in action in every combo from looping my Peavey Transtube 112 EFX through a half stack to at least one full stack with the DS-1 pedal. I also read somewhere earlier that the JC 120 4x12 cabs were only manufactured from 1989-1991 but the two I have I actually bought from a friend who let me use them in highschool, I graduated in 1988, and I think he said he had them for a few years before that so I know they were making them at least as early as '88. Anyway, I've had them since about 1990 and they are still going strong and crystal clear. Doing two back to back shows with them Jan 20-21 in fact.
DocSynizter
Peasant

Return to Speakers and Cabinets