Celestion G12H-30/70th anniversary?

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

Celestion G12H-30/70th anniversary?

Postby thegame on Fri Sep 28, 2001 4:22 pm

Hi,<BR>I am interested in experimenting with some G12H-30's. My local music store just got some of these in stock. The backs of the speakers say, in big letters, 70th anniversary series, and below it G12H-30. Are there more than one version of these speakers, besides the originals? If so, what's the difference?<BR>I remember seeing 70th anniversary speakers listed in the Guitar Players buyers guide from the early 90's.<BR>So basically, are all G12H-30 reissues also 70th anniversarys'?<BR>Thanks for your input.
thegame
Peasant

Re: Celestion G12H-30/70th anniversary?

Postby jan on Wed Oct 03, 2001 3:08 pm

I have the original G12H 30 watt Celestions in a Marshall 4x12 cab. They sound great! Strong midrange, and very 'sustainy'.
jan
Page

Postby DavidFloyd on Wed Oct 03, 2001 3:17 pm

I'm using the reissue G12H-30 anniversary in my reproduction 4 x 12 basketweave cab. To put it simply: They rule, fantastic tone.<P>According to the guys on the board here, they are more of an accurate reissue than compared to the greenbacks, etc.<P>These speakers easily blow away my '70s cabs with the 60 watt celestions.
David Szabados
www.legendarytones.com
DavidFloyd
Baron

Postby Buzz on Fri Oct 05, 2001 10:16 pm

I just got mine today and I don't like it, too much mid-range. Kinda reminds me of of cranking up a chainsaw, really open and a bit harsh. I put this speaker in a Boogie 1x12 hardwood cab, than tried it out in my Marshall 4x12. I allready had one recone alnico Wilder by T.Weber, one ri greenback, and one '64 Celestion Alnico (original cone). I used the wiring harness from my Celestion Sound Selector cab. It has a 5 way rotary switch, so each speaker is separate. I thought the Weber recone was sweet, detailed had great harmonics, but was a bit too bright, and lacked chunkiness. The alnico Celestion was awesome as usual, but not aggressive as the more modern Celestions. The reissue Greenback was my favorite, it just is the closest thing to the old EVH AC/DC etc, etc tone that is available today. The G12 H maybe needs a break in period, but I don't think it will change that much. REMEMBER: MY Marshall was modified, both channels tied with a master volume.
Buzz
Certified

Postby Buzz on Fri Oct 05, 2001 10:26 pm

I was thinking of posting a detailed description of the 5 way switch. This could be made very easily. I can post some pics later, it's just the switch with wires for the jack an four sets of wires for each speaker. I put the switch in an electric outlet box and didn't go to any extent of trouble to make it. I'd post a follow up if anyone want's to know which switch to buy and how it's wired. This really clears the fog on speaker tone, you just turn the switch to select the speaker of choice. <P>BTW, I had tried alnico blue reissuse, and sold them, I guess me and Page, Hendrix, VanHalen, etc are the wierdo's that like Green backs.
Buzz
Certified

Postby Ditch Digger on Sat Oct 06, 2001 1:10 am

Buzz, maybe you should let the G12H30 loosen up a bit ..I've heard huge differences in mine after they broke in. They opened up more ,better bottom , sweeter highs<BR>.But then again I liked em when I got them. Stout speakers
Ditch Digger
Court Jester

Postby DavidFloyd on Sat Oct 06, 2001 5:15 am

Buzz, this doesn't sound like a G12H30 at all - Do you have another speaker that you've used before to reference whatever particular head you're playing? <P>Very strange - I find these SO much more smooth sounding and full (on bottom end especially) compared to the 25 watt greenbacks, vintage 30s or my 60 watt cabs...<P>To each his/her own I suppose!
David Szabados
www.legendarytones.com
DavidFloyd
Baron

Postby Buzz on Sat Oct 06, 2001 11:58 am

David, not only did I reference this speaker against others, but I used a rotary switch. This means that I had 3 other speakers in the cab, and the switch allows selection individually. Speker 1. G12H 2. Reconned by Weber 3. '64 Celestion Alnico 4. Reissue Greenback.<P>It is possible for people to hear the oppisite, allthough you say the G12H has strong midrange, and that is my main disslike. I've heard people say they like an Altec better than a JBL because of it's "smoothness". I thought that JBL's are smoother, I've had several JBL's and Altec's, and I like JBL's better. <P>Maybe definations are getting misconscrewd, and a description of a speaker's tone should be described by saying it sounds like "Artist", on "Track". Or, I like J. Pages's tone on "track" and this speaker nails that tone. The G12-H want's to rock, 70's style, like Kiss's tone. IF, your into that barky humped mid-range tone, THAN, the G12-H is what you'd like. <P>I also forgot to mention that the G12H is much louder than a Greenback reissue. The Celestion website gives accurate descriptions of them. I re-read their descriptions yesterday. They describe the GB as "bluesy", and the G12H as "tighter bottom end and more mid-range than the GB. <P> Words like smooth, strong midrange, icepicky, big bass, are only relative to what they are being compared to. Why would you say a G12H has "big bottom" unless you said "bigger bottom end than the 25 watt GB reissue"? Unless we are assuming that everybody has tried every speaker out there, (I've tried many!) than how do we say "big bottom" "strong midrange".<P>It's not missleading to say a J.F Naylor (old-style) is icepicky, or a Jensen P12Q is innefficient, but we have to have a reference point. Until we've tried out alot of speakers, we don't know what too bright is, or too dark. <P>Some of the speakers I've owned or still own are:<P>Kendrick Black Frame (old-style)<BR>Kendrick Black Frame (latter-style)<BR>JBL D-120 Grey Frames, Orange Frames<BR>JBL K-120<BR>EV<BR>Celestion GB reissues<BR>Celestion G12-H reissue<BR>Celestion '64 Alnico (a pair)<BR>Celestion Blue alnico G12 reissues<BR>Celestion Vintage 30s in a 1960BV<BR>Celestion G12L 35<BR>Celestion G12S Sidewinder<BR>Celestion G12M 70<BR>Mesa Black Shadow 150 watt 12"<BR>Jensen C12N 60s vintage<BR>Wilder 12" alnicos reconed by T. Weber <BR>Kendrick Green Frame 12"<BR>Kendrick 8"<BR>Mojo-tone 10"s<BR>Jensen P12R's real vintage<BR>Jensen P12Q real vintage<BR>Altec 12" 417 8H Ser II (two)<BR>Mojo V30 12" (Vintage 30 wanabees)<BR>Naylor "vintage tone" 12"<BR> <BR>And others's....
Buzz
Certified

Postby twang on Sat Oct 06, 2001 6:01 pm

Buzz, now that's a list of speakers! You know I've got 4-12 cabs with Greenback RIs, G12T75s and G12H30s (not RIs). I couldn't tell you which speaker I prefer since they each have their own sound which is suited for different things. I'm sure the cab has an influence as well, especially at higher volumes (that's why your four in one cab is a cool thing for comparison).<P>Just curious re your JBLs. Is there a difference in grey frame vs orange frame D-120s, and what do K-120s sound like? I've got D-120s in my 68 Twin and D-130s in my 66 Dual Showman cab. The Twin is kind of my all purpose gigging amp for jazz/country/certain types of blues gigs, and I love those JBLs. Then again I tried my 1959 SLP RI through the Dual Showman cab, and was not so jazzed. Lots of variables :)
twang
Knight

Postby Buzz on Sat Oct 06, 2001 11:15 pm

Just minutes ago I scored a Weber P12S alnico 16ohm (brand-new) on Ebay with buy it now! This is the speaker that T. Weber recommended a couple years ago when I emailed him describing how I want the tone of old Celestion alnico's. Since than I bought a pair of '64 Celestion alnico's and it will be interesting to see how close they are. In my latest emails with Ted, he describes the Silver's as less mid-range and more bottom end as compared to his P12P Blue Dog's.<BR>"The B is chimey and smooth. The S is grouchier, punchier, more like an overdriven Marshall tone." <BR>Ted<P>I've played thru the G12H for a few hours and I notice that it's sounding warmer with a fuller bottom-end. It's a great sounding speaker, just like a G12M but louder, with more mid-range and bass. It sounds much less harsh now that it's breaking in. I also turned the cab up-side down, and this greatly affects the tone. Since it's a slant cab, the position affect's the tone that is percieved. Now that the G12H is on the bottom right insead of the top left, it's sounding more "full". <P>About the the JBL's, they all sound slightly different. The K120 dosn't seem that much different than the D120s. I bought one old '60s Grey frame, but after about 10 hours, it started rattling, I had it reconned locally, not by T. Webber. Ted is one of the very few who de/re-mag speakers, but this is absolutley essential. In a free issue of Tone report, he says that he reconed two identicle JBLs, one he did not de/re-magnify, and the sound was like "night and day differance".<BR>I sold the reconed JBL, and I kept my pair of JBL/Fender D120s that I bought from a personnals add in VGM a few years ago. These are only for my moddified Princeton that I use for Santana type tone. The other goes in my hardwood Boogie ext 1x12 cab. These original cone JBLs have a "breaking glass" clean tone, and are responisve to attack when distorting. Smooth, 3-D thick distortion, but they are definatley not a Celestion type of crunch. I'd rather have a D-120 over the latter series, there are physical differances in the cones. I think the D series sounds better.<P>Here is the ended auction for the Weber P12S *SILVER BELL* 12" Alnico Speaker <BR>Address:<A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1472187342&ed=1002409501" TARGET=_blank>Click here to see ended auction</A> :roll:
Buzz
Certified

Postby Buzz on Sat Oct 13, 2001 12:12 am

I got the Weber P12S today, and stuck it inside the Marshall 4x12 after I removed the reconed by Weber Wilder alnico. I put it right beside the '64 Celestion alnico and moved the Greenback reissue on top next to the the G12H reissue. <P>This was a deal gone wrong, I have had only one other bad deal on Ebay, and that was an abused Celestion Blue alnico reissue.<BR> The Weber speaker had bugered on solder that I had to remove with coper braided tape. Pet hair stuck on the surrounding cone, and two big bulges on the cone. One of the terminals was bent pretty bad. The damn thing rattles and has really weird double tones on single note leads. So, I'll contact the seller imediately about a refund. <P> In the description he says "New, never installed", yeah right! Looks like poor packaging might have been what caused the buldges, they did not double box it and stuffed alot of bubble plastic into the box, the pressure no doubt is what caused the damage to the cone.<P> I could still listen to it, and from what I heard (so far), it sounds great.<BR>Alot of bass, more than the reconned Wilder. It definately more bass than the Celestion G12 Alnico which it is supposed to emulate. It has a great thick creamy sound with a huge bottom end. My "66 Marshall JTM 45 has alot of bass as it is, I keep the bass set at zero to five. So, this may be what your looking for if your amp sounds thin. <P>I am comming to the conclusion that the only speaker that will sound like a Celestion, is a Celestion.
Buzz
Certified

Postby Big Nose on Sun Oct 14, 2001 2:27 pm

I was going to mention that fact that the position of the speakers in the 4x12 is going to greatly effect the tone But then you touched on that point.<BR> You are better off making some cheap 1x12 cabs. Don't even bother covering them and use cheap plywood. This is what I have done. This way you get a much better idea of the true tone of the speakers and it is much easier to compare them. Make sure all of the cabs are built to the same specs. It is extremely cheap and easy to do this, assuming you are not going to worry about the hardware, corners. tolex, handles, feet. grill-cloth etc.<P>Trying to hear the difference between 4 speakers in a 4x12 is not a very good way to go about it. Naturally the 2 speakers mounted on top are going to have less bass and more highs than the two bellow so you are not hearing an accurate representation of each speaker..(At least compared to one another).<BR>Also, even with the sperate 1x12s... Where each one is placed in the room has amazing effect on the tone. Think of it like you would a drum set... We set our drummers set up in one particular corner of the room because it sounds ten times better there. The kick drum sounds like thunder. Move the set a few degrees one way or the other and the drums change their whole character... so when comparing speakers try to keep em in the same space and pointing in the same direction.<P>Very strange the way sounds acts and reacts.
....."you see the truth is a long time ago Aliens came down to earth with magic amps and gave them to a select few with the understanding that when asked specific questions about equipment the owners would say anything but the truth and if those lucky few ever told the truth about the origin of the magic amps they would be banned from the book of tone for ever and ever.... "<P>Big nose:<BR>The one with the swizzle-stick attitude!
Big Nose
Court Jester

Postby Buzz on Sun Oct 14, 2001 8:21 pm

I allready said that I had turned the cab up-side down for a second listen, and yes they do sound thinner on top. I can't see how making four separate speaker cabs out of ply-wood is cheaper or easier than using the cab you allready have and hooking them up to a rotary selector? If you can explain that, maybe your nose will shrink Big nose. :D
Buzz
Certified

Postby Big Nose on Sun Oct 14, 2001 8:32 pm

Total cost for three 1x12s? $25 for 1 sheet of 4x8 plwood. $1.99 for elmers wood glue. $5 for three output jacks. $3 screws.<BR>$34 bucks and a few hours work and I can test speakers against one another...And I never have to turn my 4x12 upside down. <BR> <BR>I never said it was cheaper then using a cab you already have. I said it is cheap to make a few 1x12 cabs.. If you like having to lift your 4x12 upside down everytime you want to test speakers have fun...<P>Sorry if I offended you. Go right ahead testing speakers anyway you like. :eek:
....."you see the truth is a long time ago Aliens came down to earth with magic amps and gave them to a select few with the understanding that when asked specific questions about equipment the owners would say anything but the truth and if those lucky few ever told the truth about the origin of the magic amps they would be banned from the book of tone for ever and ever.... "<P>Big nose:<BR>The one with the swizzle-stick attitude!
Big Nose
Court Jester

Postby ericb on Sun Oct 14, 2001 10:16 pm

I can relate to Buzztone's speaker tests. I don't have any a/b mechanisms like his rotary dial, and I'm almost glad I don't as I'd end up extremely neurotic! :) I do however have an Engl 4x12, a 70's Marshall 4x12, a Bogner 2x12, a Jenkins 2x12, a White Sands pine 2x12, and a bunch of amp heads and combos. I just sold 2 Mesa 1x12's that I did a lot of speaker experimenting with. . . .I own a couple of the newer edition g12h-30's (70th anniversary) ... I had 4 old Blackback G12h-30's . The new ones sound nothing like the old ones. The new ones are very dark, have huge amounts of lo-mids and bass. The old ones I had were VERY bright (too bright for me) , very balanced across the hi to mid to bass spectrum. The old ones handled hi-gain better and crunched in a more musical fashion. 95% of the people on the net LOVE the new ones. I haven't found the ultimate use for them yet. I've tried them with lots of amps and found they match a bright glassy amp the best... We'll see what happens.. TIme to start mixing them with other speakers I guess.. I always tend to do that. As for the WEber P12s Buzz I've had 2 of those, and ended up selling both. I liked them a lot, and in fact used one in Deluxe Reverb for a long time. I think for lower volume stuff and once again a rather bright amp they sound great. I've had lots of cone cry with my Webers with the higher volume heavier style that I play, so I've resorted to the fact I'm basically a Celestion guy as they give me no problems. ERIC
ericb
Peasant

Next

Return to Speakers and Cabinets