Peavey T.G Raxx tube pre-amp.

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

Peavey T.G Raxx tube pre-amp.

Postby Dr.Mavashi on Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:32 pm

Ok, its got 2 12AX7s. How are they run? I've read that some people remove the diode clips and gets a lot better, but does that change the amount of gain on tap significantly? How is the build quality? they are kind of old so I wonder .... from what I understand it classic 80s metal crunch, right? Thanks.
My tone skeleton:
MIA Lone Star Strat(HSS-Invader/Tex-Specials) -> BadHoarsie1-> Ibanez FL9_RI -> Ibanez CS9_RI -> MXR CAE 401 -> 50 watt Laney AOR_ProTube 6 knobber (Vinnie Moore mod - V1 with second half engaged) -> JCM900_1960A4x12
Dr.Mavashi
Peasant

Postby Vortexion on Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:51 pm

I've got one of these - the bass version (electronically they're identical units, just with different labels on the controls! :lol: ). I love it. Build quality is very solid, and easy to maintain/tinker with. It's simple all-valve circuitry throughout: the only solid state devices in there are the diodes.

They also appear to have been shipped with very good valves in: I got mine 2nd hand a year or so ago. When I opened it up, it still had its original Peavey-branded valves, thick with dust. When I put them on my AVO CT160 tester, they came up with over 2mA/V each side (Mullard's original spec is 1.6mA/V). :shock:

The EQ setup is rather curious. The first bank is basically similar to a classic Fender stack; the second is a straightforward bass/middle/treble cut and boost stack. I installed a bypass switch which removes the first stack from the signal path for extra 'wallop'. 8)

I have schematics if you need 'em. Just PM me.
Vortexion
Newt

Postby Dr.Mavashi on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:05 pm

Thanks Dude,
How much gain on tap that thing has? And how easy to remove those Diodes? How much gain will it loose after that? and from what I gather there is no foot switch right ? And last one, how would you compare them with the awesome Rockmaster pre with four 12AX7s?
My tone skeleton:
MIA Lone Star Strat(HSS-Invader/Tex-Specials) -> BadHoarsie1-> Ibanez FL9_RI -> Ibanez CS9_RI -> MXR CAE 401 -> 50 watt Laney AOR_ProTube 6 knobber (Vinnie Moore mod - V1 with second half engaged) -> JCM900_1960A4x12
Dr.Mavashi
Peasant

Postby Vortexion on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:18 pm

Dr.Mavashi wrote:Thanks Dude,
How much gain on tap that thing has?

Well, I've never measured it, but let's put it this way: it makes a lovely noise, and the overdrive button gives you all the...er...overdrive you could wish for.

Dr.Mavashi wrote:And how easy to remove those Diodes?

Just de-solder them from the circuit board - or if you're really lazy, clip their leads off with nail-clippers. :wink:

Dr.Mavashi wrote:And from what I gather there is no foot switch right ?

Correct.

Dr.Mavashi wrote:And last one, how would you compare them with the awesome Rockmaster pre with four 12AX7s?

Can't tell you: I've never tried one of those.
Vortexion
Newt

Postby Dr.Mavashi on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:23 pm

Awesome, did you keep the diodes going or you took them out? Thanks a million.
My tone skeleton:
Dr.Mavashi
Peasant

Postby Vortexion on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:32 pm

Well funnily enough, that must be the only actual circuit difference between the bass and guitar versions: the bass one doesn't have the clipping diodes (just two empty spaces on the circuit board).

I've uploaded a PDF of the circuit diagram and board layout of the bass version to a location on my webspace. You can download it by right-clicking THIS LINK and choosing "Save target as..."

Likewise, here's the USER MANUAL

Cheers,
Ken
Vortexion
Newt

Postby Dr.Mavashi on Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:59 am

Million thanks again Mate, so there is no difference in circuit between TG and TB? Or is there some how more lows and less gain?
My tone skeleton:
Dr.Mavashi
Peasant

Postby Vortexion on Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:52 am

AFAIK there is no difference at all, apart from the clipping diodes. Many guitarists buy the TB Raxx version and find it does what they want. Here are some user opinions for both versions:

TB Raxx on Harmony Central

TG Raxx on Harmony Central
Vortexion
Newt

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers