WEM Starfinder 4x12 200W cabinet

Burns, Selmer, WEM, and more

WEM Starfinder 4x12 200W cabinet

Postby jocklandjohn on Tue May 09, 2017 3:58 pm

I am clearing my late father's home in Edinburgh, Scotland and underneath the mountains of other stuff left in his garage found my old WEM cabinet in apparently pretty much the same condition I left it there probably in 1980 or so, nearly 40 years ago. It never had the original red WEM logo on the front and the metal serial number plate on the back is mostly gone and only a slim strip on the left side remains so the WEM logo and serial number are missing, but enough is left to prove it is an original WEM (and the plastic jack input plate on the back is a WEM). The speakers are all aluminium cones.

I used to use it for lead guitar and later bass through a Selmer Treble N Bass 100W valve head but when that got stolen I couldn't afford to replace it so the speaker just got stored. I bought it together with the Selmer amp in 1977 I think from a local bass player for £150 or so in total and it has been much used, but not abused.

I will have to get rid of it as I have no space at my own place and could never fire it up as I used to. It is a beast of a speaker.

My question is this. How do I get the back off it to check the speakers and the internal woodwork? I unscrewed the retaining screws from the back but the back will not budge. There is a metal brace rod - is this attached as I can't see if it can be unscrewed somehow from the back, or maybe the front?

The board will not let me upload photos just now, so I will have to try later.

Any help most gratefully received.

Many thanks
jocklandjohn
Peasant

Re: WEM Starfinder 4x12 200W cabinet

Postby Kuli on Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:37 am

Maybe the speakers are front-loaded? Can you remove the front baffle?
'66 JTM 45
'66 JTM 45/100
'68 1959T Super Tremolo
'69 1987 Lead
'69 Royal Purple 1960B basketweave
'70 4x12" Park blue basketweave
Kuli
Knight

Postby Vortexion on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:18 pm

jocklandjohn wrote:The board will not let me upload photos just now, so I will have to try later.

You can't upload photos directly to this messageboard (they haven't got the storage space for them). Instead, what you need to do is upload them to a hosting service such as photobucket or similar. Then write a post on here and put the web address of each image inside a set of image tags, as per this fake example:

Code: Select all
[img]http://www.imagehostingplace.com/blahblah/yourpicture1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.imagehostingplace.com/blahblah/yourpicture2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.imagehostingplace.com/blahblah/yourpicture3.jpg[/img]

...and then the photos will show up in your post.

Hope that helps. :cheers:
Vortexion
Newt

Postby Decades_D on Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:05 pm

The metal bracing rod isn't fixed. It will just be a very tight fit to the back panel which makes it difficult to remove.
If you look at the Starfinder 4x12 pics on my WEM-Owners website you'll find some pics of the inside of a Starfinder, including the metal rod.
If you can't find the pics, let me know.
The drivers aren't front loaded so you will need to remove the back panel to see what they are.
Decades_D
Peasant

Postby jocklandjohn on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:57 pm

Decades

Thanks very much for your reply and your website photos which are most useful. I will have to try to use some sort of pry bar to lever the back off obviously. I anticipate this may damage the back, but it seems it is the only way to do it.

Assuming I manage, I will report back.

Anyone who may be interested in a purchase, please let me know. As I said, I can't keep it and would like it to go to a good home.

Many thanks
jocklandjohn
Peasant

Postby Decades_D on Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:13 pm

Good luck, I hope you are able to get it off ok. I remember mine was very tight but did come off eventually.
I know a few people who would be interesting in buying your cab, including myself, and I'll be happy to make some enquiries for you.
Once you have the back off, if you can take some pics that would be great.
There's an email address where you can send the pics to, at the bottom of the home page on my website.
Decades_D
Peasant

Return to Miscellaneous British Amplifiers